Internet of Everything: A $4.6 Trillion Public-Sector Opportunity

This information is presented to allow clients to determine if the publication’s content is relevant, Halberd Bastion advocates reading the 17-page report in its entirety. Cisco’s Report Can Be Downloaded Here.

The US based multinational, Cisco Systems (www.cisco.com), is the largest networking company in the world and regularly releases reports, white papers and other literature relating to networking hardware.  This white paper advocates adoption of IoE (Internet of Everything - Cisco’s branded/expanded IoT) and makes many recommendations targeted at government leaders for consideration in strategic planning.

The principal points are as follows:

  • The Internet of Everything (IoE) is the networked connection of people, processes, data and things.  IoE opens many opportunities that should be investigated by decision makers in the public sector with particular consideration on; policy leadership, services provision, and regulation.
  • Analysis forecasts that IoE will generate Value at Stake of $4.6 trillion for the public sector over the next 10 years (with the private sector set to benefit $14.4 trillion over the same period).
  • The $4.6 trillion of value that IoE will provide to the public sector comes from better asset management, optimisation of performance and new business models.
  • 70% of the public sectors value will be derived from within a specific agency’s implementations with the remaining 30% coming from cross-agency adoption of IoE.
  • 69% of IoE’s value will be powered by citizen connections such as; person to person, machine to person/person to machine.
  • The value that IoE will provide is equivalent to approximately a third of the total expected civilian labour productivity growth over the next decade.
  • 95% of IoE Value at Stake for the public sector is going to come from around half (23 of 40) use cases that were analysed by Cisco.
  • In order to maximise the value of IoE for citizens, cities (which generate 63% of benefits) should amalgamate uses cases as opposed to applying them individually.

The five factors that will provide IoE Value at Stake for the public sector are:

  1. Employee productivity
  2. Connected militarised defence
  3. Cost reduction
  4. Citizen experience
  5. Increased revenue

Mentions